Iban Guy

Observations from my daily life in Labuan. Use Mozilla Firefox Browser for best viewing experience. (http://www.mozilla.com). NOTE: Press F5 to refresh your browser if you do not see any update on this blog.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Atama - My Tribal Roots Hip Hop Album


Just got myself this Audio CD by a local Sabahan DJ called Atama. His debut album sells like hot cakes and this is very impressive. The concept of the album is unique bcos it has 'Interludes' i.e. spoken words about the local tribal warrior/hero. The cool thing about the album is the fusion between the KadazanDusun songs with Hip Hop style beats. It works because there are people buying this stuff for the 'Aramaiti' session.

The album was criticised for 'distorting' the purity of the KadazanDusun songs it has mixed in the album. I say this is Boolsheet. Without the exposure this album generates for KadazanDusun songs, no one gives a hoot about local KadazanDusun songs or its artists.

Some say it copy the concept of 'APL Song' by the Black Eye Peas. I say "So What?". Every song copies other songs. Nothing new about it.

It reminds me of the Japanese Rap songs with the catchy beats and ryhme. The only thing I think needs improvement is Atama's image. Can someone give him some image tips? He looks like this guy from Ruffedge.

2 Comments:

  • At November 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've Just Wasted Your Money On A BIG TIME SWINDLER Bro...
    There are many under ground dj's here in sabah who've already make albums & tracks but never release due to the piracy activity over here...my advice to you is - don't simply praise that person if you don't know him well.....

     
  • At November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just praise his effort, that's all.I did not like his appearance though.Its so weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home